Saturday, August 7, 2010

King Baldwin - getting started

  To create the  Main Body of the costume for Baldwin I decided to use the Buttrick Cassock pattern I had bought a year ago with the hopes of making a Snape costume.  I thought that the back pleating would give it some body and formality. The length and collar where perfect  I just needed to alter the front into a solid panel , which  I thought would be within my realm of capablities.  Fearing what would happen to my nice fabric  if I simply started cutting I decided to make a muslin first to see what alteration I needed to make and if they would work.

This is the back  of the muslin.  The first bits I ever sewed on, and I ended up adjusting the pleats in the back so they lined up. It was  making the pleats and the the panel that made me start thinking I might be able to make  the costume look ok and that it was possible to get finished in time for Dragon*Con 2010

 From My LJ entry July 22 210
I am going to try and get Baldwin done for Dragon*con. The muslin is turning out great and pretty much what I thought it would look like which is surprising (since I figured with my luck it won't be at all what I pictured and I'd have to go back to square one.) To that end I've started on the mask, I'm mixing a few mediums to make it, I've molded  the shape to my wig dummy with platicine  and I'm using strips of muslin and wheat paste to create the actual mask. So far it's smooth enough I may not be using paper clay. Yay! Layer one is drying right now. it's showing a lot more detail then I thought it would which is great. I also need  to make a belt, the over robe is something I'll worry about  after the con is over, hopefully with the school year starting soon I'll have some extra money  and I buy the fabric for it.

The mask didn't turn out well, although the muslin mache was very strong and light, I did not like how I made the mask look. I really don't want to post a picture of it since it looked so bad.  I started hunting again for an alternative. I found this on ebay:

   Not quite what I wanted but the shape is right and it is easy to color. The eyebrows are a bit freaky and the features on it are HUGE. ( Have you ever seen those rubber masks of Presidents? Ya it looks like that) I'm hoping that with everything else on it it won't look as bad. But I"ll be sticking to with it as the mask for now.

  On Augest 3rd, with 30 days to go before Dragon*Con and  after fighting with the sleeves and making up the neck trim I finished the muslin. The sleeves gave me hell and made feel like I couldn't do finish it and it would be a disaster.... But I won in the end. I was so happy with how it came out. I also knew for sure I could finish it in time to wear this year.




These are pictures of it hanging after I had finished steaming it.

 Now on to the real deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment